Thursday 16 September 2010

Swimming with Swallows & Sparrows; another postcard from Cyprus

Hi again,

just had lunch by the pool but it is so hot I thought I would have chat with you.

Actually I'm feeling a little smug because the last two mornings I've swum ten lengths of the pool before breakfast, which I've never done before; it definitely wakes you up, despite the lengths only being short ones, and it's far enough for me!

I've been fascinated to watch thirsty swallows swoop down over the pool, take a sip and swoop off again, all in one smooth action. The sparrows are more friendly and cheeky, they constantly roam around the tables for crumbs, drink from the side of the pool and take shelter from the sun inside the terracota tiles on the roof.

My novel continues to take shape as I am able to focus on that only, apart from the dilemmas of what to wear, eat and drink.

The sign by the hotel reception says 'Library - downstairs', I've been to investigate. Five short shelves contain exactly 100 books; I counted them. There is something for most tastes from what I can see, a wide range of authors from Bernard Cornwall to Barbara Taylor Bradford, Judith Krantz to George Elliot to James Patterson. Khaled Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', through which I remember crying often and his famous 'Kite Runner', are also there. Alan Titchmarsh stands beside Andy McNab and Elizabeth Mc Gregor. The only biography appears to be of Billy Connolly, 'Billy' by his wife Pamela Stephenson - did I hear right that she's going to compete in 'Strictly Come Dancing'? - no comment.

So which one did I choose? 'The Perfect Lie' by Emily Barr because she was one of the authors I listened to when she came to speak at last months' Literary Festival in Penzance. She lives in Cornwall, as I do, I've read the first few pages and it begins in the area I know so well and love, I am now feeling a little homesick, though I think I shall survive until Sunday.

Well I must dash as need to cool down. Another swim with the swallows and sparrows will be perfect. PP.

PS: Must tell you tomorrow about Omar (as in Sharif/Dr Zchivago) and Tom (as in Conti, think Shirley Valentine); I'm so blessed to be greeted in the morning by one , and wished a good night by the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment