Tuesday 14 September 2010

Postcard from Cyprus

Hi,
We are here - but I'm missing you already - and my laptop - so had to spend a couple of euros writing to you.

Our first experience and impression of Cyprus is very good and very hot! We landed just before midnight on Sunday, it was 26 degrees, during the days so far it has been blue skies all the way and high thirties; but we'll cope.

Do you remember me saying that I was going to bring a stack of writing magazines to catch up with, well I did and they cost us excess baggage! A large red label was fastened to my case saying, HEAVY; husband was not amused. He's over it now, and I'm massaging sun cream on his back and going to the bar at regular intervals by way of grovelling.

What I wanted to tell you was, that in between the serious stash of mags and books, I also brought a copy of the June 2010 issue of Woman & Home as passed onto me by my sister. I'm not familiar with it but spent all afternoon yesterday,by the pool of course, reading it; would you believe I found 9 articles/features referring to writers: their lives, views and work.

Among them was a piece by Sarah Duncan (I blogged about her last month after she'd been at the Penzance Literary Festival), she was giving her account of the 'empty nest' feeling as her daughter begins university; very funny.

There was an article on an experience of going to a literary festival (not me, if only), another one entitled, 'Books that change my mood' by Alexandra Shulman, Editor of British Vogue and judge for the Orange Prize for Fiction. There's also a regular page dedicated to a selection of the latest book releases.

I hope I don't sound like a promotion for W&H but it has proved to me how much information and inspiration can be gained from many areas and publications not specific to writing. I think it may also have something to do with the fact that my observational skills and senses have been heightened as I continue to study on this great course, and that I have to improve my ideas and imagination if I am to be successful.

Must dash, he wants his back creaming again and another beer!
PP

PS: When it gets too hot tomorrow I shall write again and let you know ...

No comments:

Post a Comment