Monday 30 August 2010

Amazing journey - aaaahhhhhhh!!

I need to rant and scream, I need to get it out of my system, 'amazing' and journey' are two perfectly good words, the former, in my opinion should be reserved to describe an experience truly remarkable and special. But of course as I write these words I realise that to the people who use this word several times in one sentence are of course, in their opinion, describing something very special to them.

For me, and probably only me, the word 'amazing' has to preceed 'grace'. I've sung the hymn since a little girl and it is one of the most popular requested. John Newton, who wrote the hymn 400 years ago, had a tremendous spiritual experience and transformation through, what he considered, was the 'amazing grace' of God. How can that be compared to having the opportunity to sing on tele, bungee jumping or driving a sports car, to name but a few ...

It is now overused because people are unable to think of another word that can describe how they are feeling after experiencing all of the above, so perhaps I should retract my thoughts and say that if that is what they are truly feeling then it is their right to use the word, it's a free country. I just feel sad about it.

So what about 'journey'? We are all on one but it never used to be referred to in this way. It was life. Yet now on all the reality programmes, which incidentally I don't watch, but see enough excerpts of people describing their momentous television experience as an 'amazing journey'! Why copy each other? Why not, 'I've had a fabulous time. A memorable day. A fantastic experience.' ??

I think I shall give up, I'm just filling space and not making any sense; or am I? Does anyone else agree? I journey to work every day. In a couple of weeks I will be going on a journey - to the airport - to Cyprus - and even a return jouney home. Is this not more appropriate usage?

I shouldn't have started this, but I feel better for ranting a little at the laziness and abuse of certain words. When they are overused they lose their specialness; how's that for something different!

PP

No comments:

Post a Comment