Monday 23 August 2010

The very first Penzance Literary Festival - Poetry Evening

In a small room at Penzance Arts Club on Wednesday last, the first evening of the five-day festival, about 40 people gathered to listen to the invited local poets - Moira Andrew, Jenny Hamlett, Bob Devereux - their poems were diverse: sad, funny, thought provoking; I drank in every one.

After a short break there followed an open mic. session, organised and compered by Diana Dixon. Eighteen people had booked a 5 minute slot, I was one of them. I have never read my poetry to an audience before so I was curious as to how it would go, and at what point my stomach would land in my throat. I was number 14 on the list which gave me time to see how it should be done, or not as the case may be. I refused a glass of wine for a sensible option in the hope that being a good girl would help my brief performance go more smoothly; I was having enough problems coping with the new prescription in my new swish glasses.

Finally my number was called. A lady sat in the front row with a stopwatch as instructed by Diana, I found this inhibiting but proceeded in the knowledge that my trusty husband had timed me the night before. The room fell silent as I started with an introduction to set the scene. I squinted here and there as I tried to focus through the new specs. at the same time trying to take a confident stance while holding my book at an angle so that I could spread my words and voice across the room, using the book only as a prompt; I secretly thanked my lucky stars that I had had the sense to type the words in 14pt bold; next time I may try braille.

I received an enthusiastic applause and encouraging comments afterwards, along with an invitation 'do come again'. Diana said, looking at my posh black leather-look A5 hard-backed book, that she hadn't realised I'd been published. I turned a shade of red and said, 'oh only a couple', which is true.

If you would like to read my first publicly-read poems then please take a look on my website which I'm constructing as I go along.

Tomorrow I'll let you know what happened on Day 3 of the festival.

www.pz-litfest.org.uk

Thanks for visiting,

PP

2 comments:

  1. Well done for being so brave, Pauline. I'm sorry to say I've yet to attend a literary festival - you've spurred me on now.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was worth the initial nerves Andrew, and nothing ventured and all that.

    Apologies for late response, I presumed no-one would read let alone make comment, how daft is that!

    Thanks for taking the time. Best wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete