Friday 27 August 2010

Last account of the first Penzance Literary Festival: Saturday, Day 4 of 5.

'Authors in conversation - Emily Barr and Sarah Duncan: ‘Writing Women’s Commercial Fiction’ in the Marquee at Trereife Park, just outside Penzance.

My final treat and husband came too, interested and curious about the mad world of writing I was so determined to be a part of.

Emily, http://www.emilybarr.com/biography/ and Sarah, who is a prolific blogger, http://sarahduncansblog.blogspot.com/ , apart from a full writing careers, are both mothers too, and they live in Cornwall. Each explained how they came to be sitting before us, talking about the many books they had written, and how, while writing for a demanding commercial market, they fitted everything in around husbands, partners and children.

They made us laugh loudly at their tales, particularly Sarah, whose former acting career experience (she was an early girlfriend of Rodney in Only Fools and Horses), allowed her to entertain as she spoke with such funny phrases and voices. It was a very enjoyable time.

I was personally encouraged and inspired to get back to my laptop and start creating. So here I am, sharing with you my first Literary Festival experiences instead of getting down to writing my book!

I hope you've enjoyed my snippets this week; what shall we talk about next week? Mmm ...

Have a happy Bank Holiday weekend
PP

No comments:

Post a Comment