Sunday 7 November 2010

My zing is coming back ...

Saturday was a crisp sunny day here in west Cornwall. We decided to walk through the park in Penzance - 'we' being hubby and Max who we had just collected from Angela, (otherwise known as 'Tufty'), she had given him his regular clip and looked adorable; Max that is, he's our dog. He always seems to prance about (max that is) more when he's just had a cut and blow-dry,like a spring lamb, but he's fourteen!

I left them briefly in the park while I popped into the library to look for a reference book which I couldn't find, and came out instead with three books I wasn't looking for: Selected Poems by Carol Ann Duffy, Someday I'll Find Me, Carla Lane's autobiography - great title - and The Manchester Affair by Elizabeth Elgin, written in the 70's. As soon as I got home I ran a bath and started to read it, with glass of dry white close by; the book was the perfect accompaniment.

Why I selected the latter I don't know, possibly because it's set in the North, my birth home, but maybe because when I picked it up, the water-coloured images of two women with expressions of consternation appealed straight away. Also, it was in hardback (a proper book) and, though covered in plastic, it felt good to hold, do you know what I mean? I'll let you know how I get on with it, I should really be reading more contemporary novels that will benefit my studies on my writing course, I won't tell if you don't.

I cannot help but dream that one day someone will select my novel from the thousands on the library shelves, will rush home, run a bath, pour a glass of wine and sink into the bubbles with me for company ... but in reality it will be so many years hence that I'll be downloaded from cyberspace onto a waterproof gadget that will hang on the bathroom wall like a flat TV screen, strategically placed for the bather to read and sip their tipple to their heart's content - but who will turn the pages?

Thanks for stopping by, see you soon,
PP

No comments:

Post a Comment